(Image credit Jeremy Brevard/ USA Today Sports)
Written by: Nicholas Mullick
With the Super Bowl now completed the NFL is entering the offseason. It is time to look at the 5 big team needs that every NFL team should address in the 2022 off-season. This article focuses on the team needs for every team in the AFC East.
New York Jets
No question, cornerback was a tremendous issue for the jets last season. The only corner that was consistent was Bryce Hall. At least both Brandon Echols and Michael Carter showed potential last season but I don’t see them as great corners unless they take a massive step forward next season. But the Jets need to have a strong and consistent corner to pair with Bryce Hall. The Jets would be fools if they did not upgrade at cornerback in the draft or via free agency.
2. S The Secondary is abysmal and I doubt both LaMarcus Joyner and Marcus Maye sign another contract with the New York Jets. Asthyn Davis stinks and they wasted a third-round pick that they got in the Leonard Williams trade on him. Jason Pinnock has promise at safety but he is going to need time to develop. The Jets have to upgrade at safety in the offseason.
3. LB The Jets could use another linebacker if they can’t come to a deal re-signing Quincy Williams. CJ Mosley was the best player at linebacker. Jarrad Davis was abysmal and won’t be resigned. The experimental players Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirildeen have dealt with injuries. The Jets need to get durable linebackers in the offseason.
4. TE I seriously wish that the Jets can find a competent tight end. They have not had one on the team since the Mickey Shuler days. Dustin Keller was the closest one but injuries derailed him. I don't see the long-term Jets Tight End on this team. Yeboah was a disappointment, Ryan Griffin stinks, and Tyler Kroft can’t stay healthy. The Jets need to get a tight end in the offseason.
5. WR Even though the Jets have Elijah Moore who has a ton of potential I feel wide receiver is still a need for the Jets. Corey Davis was dealing with injuries last season and hopefully, he gets better. WR Braxton Berrios is a free agent and I hope they sign him but won’t be shocked if they don’t. Keelan Cole is also a free agent as well. Jamison Crowder is not going to be on the Jets next season. Denzel Mims is Chris Herndon 2.0 and should be cut. Joe Douglas has to give Zach Wilson some more weapons for next season.
Ok, I will give a spoiler here the first 3 team needs for the Dolphins are all going to be towards rebuilding the offensive line. I will start with guard as the guards were awful with Miami. Austin Jackson has been a disappointing 1st round pick and he was mediocre as a guard. Solomon Kindley showed flashes but did not impress. The Dolphins need to upgrade at Guard for sure.
The Dolphins need a center as well. Michael Deiter was mainly mediocre and had trouble snapping the football. The Dolphins have to upgrade at center so Tua can have the ball properly snapped to him.
3. OT This is number 3 on the list because I like Liam Eichenberg but they desperately need to get help at right tackle. Jesse Davis was abysmal last season and the Dolphins need to protect Tua for next season by getting another tackle.
Cornerback is a need for the Dolphins defense. Especially with the whole drama that surrounded Xavien Howard. Who knows if that will continue this offseason. Noah Igbinoghene stinks and this team wasted a 1st round pick on him in the 2020 NFL Draft. Plus Justin Coleman is going to be a free agent this offseason. So the Dolphins are going to need to add a cornerback during the offseason.
5. LB The Dolphins need to get another linebacker. Besides Jerome Baker, the linebacker core struggled. The Dolphins needed to improve the linebacker core during the offseason as it was a huge weakness.
New England Patriots
Definitely going to be a need for the New England Patriots. Especially as JC Jackson could be leaving the Patriots which would be a big loss. Even if he resigns the Patriots needed to bolster the corners as it was heavily exposed during their matchup against the Buffalo Bills.
2. WR Can the New England Patriots bring in a consistent receiver on this team? Nelson Agholor is inconsistent when he plays. N’Keal Harry I am shocked is still in New England and he is a bust selection by the team. Jakobi Meyers, Matthew Slater, and Gunner Olszewski are Free Agents. Kendrick Bourne actually impressed me the most last season and is the only receiver that currently has a contract for next season I would trust the most. On a side note, boy was I wrong when I said Kendrick Bourne’s contract was the worst contract on the Patriots. As of now, he was worth the contract that he was given. But the Patriots have to get another receiver.
It is a need for the Patriots to upgrade. Especially as Donta Hightower could leave in free agency which would be a huge loss to their defense. Plus the linebackers got exposed during their game against the bills.
Never hurts to continue to build the offensive line, especially at tackle. They could use a replacement as Trent Brown is a free agent this offseason. If they can’t re-sign him the Patriots will be sure to find his replacement.
5. K New England is going to need a kicker as Nick Folk is not going to be here long term. Plus he is also a free agent this offseason. So the Patriots need to find a new Kicker for the next season.
1. CB Tre’Davious White’s injury showed us two things. First how great and valuable he is to the Buffalo Bills defense. Second how badly the Buffalo Bills need to bolster the defense, especially at secondary as they were not the same without White.
The Bills showed that they need to beef up their interior line. I would not be shocked if the Bills decided to move on from Darryl Williams, save money, and get younger on the o-line.
3. RB I said in my NFL Playoffs debrief article that running back was also a need for the Buffalo Bills. Yes they have Devin Singletary and he was better the 2nd half of the season but he was a liability for the 1st half of the season plus durability concerns as well. Matt Brieda is a free agent. I am shocked Zack Moss is still on the team as he was a healthy scratch last season and was inconsistent. The Bills need to get another running back in the offseason that can be consistent and durable.
Never hurts to get Josh Allen more targets to throw the ball to. Especially as Emmanuel Sanders has contemplated retiring from football this year and the Bills will need to replace him in the offseason.
The Bills could use some leverage in contract negotiation when Ed Oliver’s and Star Lotulelei’s contracts expires. Plus they could use some depth as well if Oliver or Lotulelei gets injured as a fill-in.