(Image credit Christopher Hanewinckel/USA Today Sports)
Written by: Nicholas Mullick
With the Super Bowl now completed the NFL is entering the offseason. It is time to look at the 5 big team needs that every NFL team should address in the 2022 off-season. This article focuses on the team needs for every team in the AFC South.
The Jaguars offensive line was abysmal last season. It never hurts to invest in the offensive line to protect QB Trevor Lawrence. The interior o-line was a mess last season and it didn’t only hurt Trevor Lawrence but the running game as well. The Jags have Jawaan Taylor at tackle and It would not be wise to have Cam Robinson test free agency at tackle So the bigger need is at guard.
2. WR The Jaguars need to surround Trevor with more receivers. I doubt the team will be bringing back DJ Chark after he suffered his injury in the season. They also are going to need to get depth for the position as Tavon Austin, Jaydon Mickens, and Laquon Treadwell are also free agents entering the offseason. It would be silly if the team did not do much to help bring in receivers in the offseason.
3. DE/EDGE The Jaguars pass rush last season was abysmal excluding Josh Allen. They need another one to pair with Josh Allen. Luckily they have the 1st Overall pick and will get a choice of either Aidan Hutchinson or Kayvon Thibodeaux which would be a big boost to their defense.
4. OT If the Jaguars can’t re-sign Cam Robinson or don’t Franchise Tag him then they need to re-sign another tackle to help protect Trevor Lawrence. Plus they could use some leverage when Jawaan Taylor’s contract is up in 2023.
5. TE Jaguars need a Tight end as well. Jacob Hollister is a free agent, Chris Manhertz is mainly a blocking Tight End, Dan Arnold is a scrub, and Luke Farell did not do much. The Jaguars need to give Trevor Lawrence targets to throw the ball to.
The Texans need a pass rusher badly. The only one that looked good was Jonathan Greenard who has 8 sacks and the Texans really have something in Greenard if they can have him perform this well for next season. But besides him, nobody else had more than 5 sacks which is unacceptable. The Texans should get another pass rusher to improve on defense.
Definitely, a need as the secondary was abysmal last season. This offseason especially as excluding Eric Murray the Texans don’t have another under contract. I would be shocked if the Texans avoided making changes at safety.
Excluding Rex Burkhead, the Texans currently don’t have another running back under contract for next season. David Johnson, I would be shocked they resigned as he has declined and Royce Freeman was so-so. They have to get another running back to help give QB Davis Mills or whoever the QB is another tool to use.
Excluding Brevin Jordan, the Texans do not have another tight end under contract. The Texans have to get another tight end on this roster and give whoever the QB will be another target to throw the ball too.
5. Every Other Position
Let's be real, the Texans have a need at every position right now. Who knows what the Texans will do to upgrade the team this offseason. But I have to ask Why is Jack Easterby still a part of the Houston Texans organization again?
1. QB It looks like the Colts and Carson Wentz are heady for a messy divorce after the disappointing week 18 performance. At least they did not give up a 1st round pick for him or anything like that, Oh wait they did it is now Philadelphia Eagles' property for the 2022 NFL Draft. If they do officially get rid of Wentz then they are going to have to find a replacement.
The Secondary was a big mess for the Colts last season. Especially at cornerback and it showed against the Jaguars. It does not help that Xavier Rhodes and TJ Carrie are also free agents this offseason as well
3. WR The Colts need to get receivers. Excluding Michael Pittman Jr the Colts don’t really have a good receiver. Parris Campbell can’t stay healthy, Dezmon Patmon & Michael Strachan did not impress, TY Hilton is declining, is a free agent, and has contemplated retirement, and Zach Pascal is a free agent. I like Pittman but he is not a number 1 receiver and the Colts have to find one next season.
4. OT The Colts have a lot of free-agent offensive tackles that are leaving via free agency. Especially Eric Fisher, Julian Davenport, Sam Tevi, and Matt Pryor. It would be a big mistake if the Colts decided to not build the o-line, especially at tackle. This season is a make-or-break where jobs are on the line.
5. LB I will throw this out there excluding Darius Leonard and maybe Bobby Okereke (If he can continue this next season) name me a consistently good linebacker on the Colts? Exactly and the Colts would be smart getting another linebacker on this team.
Never hurts to build the offensive line and last year proved that they could use improvements at guard. It helps protect the quarterback and open holes for King Derrick Henry to take advantage of.
The Titans need another receiver. AJ Brown is an excellent player but besides that, they don’t have much. Julio Jones has suffered massive regression and Nick Westbrook-Ikhine is a free agent this offseason along with Chester Rogers. The Titans have to give Tannehill more to work with next season.
3. LB The Titans need to get a linebacker here, especially if Harold Landry and Rashaan Evans leave in free agency which would not surprise me at all. Plus Zach Cunningham is a potential cap casualty as well to keep an eye on and the team needs to replace him.
Ever since Jonnu Smith left in free agency last season the Titans have a huge hole at Tight end. I would be shocked if the team does not fix the tight end position next season either in the draft or free agency.
5. QB I have no idea what will be going on with Ryan Tannehill but one thing for sure is that the Titans are going to need a backup QB. Especially as I doubt Tannehill is the long-term guy and it would be an upgrade over Logan Woodside.