(Image credit Tim Heitman/ USA Today Sports)
Written by: Nicholas Mullick
With the Super Bowl now completed the NFL is entering the offseason. It is time to look at the 5 big team needs that every NFL team should address in the 2022 off-season. This article focuses on the team needs for every team in the NFC East.
New York Giants 1. OG The New York Giants offensive line was abysmal last season excluding Andrew Thomas. The Giants need to get guards to open holes for Saquon Barkley and Devontae Booker to run through. Will Hernandez is not terrible but has declined from what he was years ago.
The Giants need another tackle as Nate Solder is leaving in free agency and could have used an upgrade anyways. Plus the Giants would benefit by protecting their QB and the best way to do that is building the o-line, especially at tackle.
A lot of Defensive Tackles are hitting free agency this year including Danny Shelton and Austin Johnson. The Giants don’t have the cap space to sign them and they need to get depth in the draft or free agency.
4. TE It is clear that Evan Engram is not going to work for the Giants and he is a free agent this offseason. Kyle Rudolph stinks and is also not long-term for the Giants. It is best for the Giants this offseason to sign or draft a Tight end to their roster and give whoever the QB is another target to throw to. Speaking of QB…
5. QB Again I will keep saying this but I don’t know about Daniel Jones as he shows flashes that he could be something if he is coached right. He is where Sam Darnold was when the Jets fired Adam Gase last year. I could potentially see the Giants follow what the Jets did trading Daniel Jones for a pick and using one of their Top 10 picks on a QB. But even if not they need a backup QB as I was shocked Mike Glennon was still employed and Jake from state Fromm did not impress last season.
This is a no-brainer need here. QB has been a need since Kirk Cousins left this team. They tried drafting one in Dwayne Haskins but as a result of his meltdown and failure to mature, he didn’t work. I like Taylor Heinicke but he got exposed last season. Kyle Allen and Ryan Fitzpatrick are not durable options. Garret Gilbert while having a cool story is not a long-term starter. The Commanders need to find a new franchise quarterback.
The Washington Commanders need to get help at safety. Especially as Landon Collins struggled last season and rumors going around that Washington may move him to linebacker and Who knows what is going on with the Deshazor Everett situation as he was charged with involuntary manslaughter after a fatal car crash. The Commanders could use some upgrades at safety.
Excluding Terry McLaurin, name a consistently good receiver on the Commanders roster without looking it up. Exactly and that is a big problem and if I am Washington I would bring in more receivers for whoever the starting quarterback will be next season. Speaking of targets for the quarterback
4. TE The Washington Commanders could use a durable Tight end. Especially as Logan Thomas can’t stay healthy and Ricky Seals-Jones is testing free agency.
5. LB Washington does need help at Linebacker as Jon Bostic is likely to test free agency this season. Plus Jamin Davis, the 1st round draft choice last year did not look ready as he had a disappointing season.
1. CB The Eagles absolutely need to get help at the cornerback position. Especially as the Eagles want to get younger and get more depth as Darius Slay is 31 and Steven Nelson is 29. Plus they got exposed in the playoffs due to how weak the cornerbacks were. The Eagles have to make improvements to Cornerback for the offseason.
The Eagles desperately need to get a linebacker on this defense and it got heavily exposed in their playoff game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Excluding TJ Edwards who showed promise last season, the linebacker core was abysmal and it would be a good idea to improve it in the offseason.
3. WR The Eagles found a good receiver in Devonta Smith. Quez Watkins showed flashes but I see him more as a rotational number 3 or 4 receiver. The Eagles have to get another receiver to pair with Smith. Jalen Reagor is not it and I am shocked that he is still on the Eagles roster. What was Howie Roseman thinking when he took Jalen Reagor over Justin Jefferson in the 2020 NFL Draft?
4. OC Jason Kelce is a free agent this offseason. Even if the Eagles decide to re-sign him he is 34 years old and is not the guy for the future as a center. Plus the Eagles don’t even have a backup for him. So the Eagles can gain depth at the position and get younger by drafting or signing players in the offseason.
Both Derek Barnett and Ryan Kerrigan are free agents this offseason. Plus Brandon Graham is 33 years old. The Eagles may want to get younger and find a replacement for that talent that is potentially leaving.
Before we get to the Team Needs for the Dallas Cowboys I have to ask can the head coach be a team need for the Cowboys? No. it's only focused on the team's needs for positions. Oh well. (Mike McCarthey is a big reason why Dallas struggled last season).
Absolutely the biggest need for the Cowboys this offseason. Excluding Micah Parsons who was excellent last season, the Cowboys linebackers struggled. A ton of them are also free agents as well including Leighton Vander Esch who is still a solid player but has been dealing with injuries. Plus a ton of the backups as well for Dallas are free agents this season. I would be surprised if the Dallas Cowboys did not use a draft pick on a linebacker this offseason.
Dallas’s o-line was not as good as it was years ago when Travis Fredrick was on the team. The biggest hole is at left guard especially as Connor McGovern stinks and Connor Williams is a free agent this offseason. The Cowboys absolutely need to upgrade the o-line at left tackle for sure.
With the Dallas Cowboys being around 20 million dollars under the salary cap it is likely that the Cowboys won’t be able to re-sign Randy Gregory or Dorance Armstrong. So it is absolutely going to be a must to replace both in the offseason.
4. S There are a lot of safeties that are free agents this offseason. With Dallas being under 20 million dollars with the salary cap I doubt that they can bring them back. Especially Malik Hooker, Jayron Kearse, and Damontae Kazee. To be honest the Cowboys could use an upgrade at safety as well to bolster the secondary.
5. OT Tyron Smith’s injuries should be a wake-up call for the Dallas Cowboys. Every time Smith is injured this o-line just is not the same without him. They need to get a strong backup tackle to replace Smith if he gets injured again and for the long term. Keep in mind Tyron Smith is 31 years and it probably is a good idea to eventually find his replacement.