(Image credit Alex Menendez/USA Today Sports)
Written by: Nicholas Mullick
With the Super Bowl now completed the NFL is entering the offseason. It is time to look at the 5 big team needs that every NFL team should address in the 2022 off-season. This article focuses on the team needs for every team in the NFC South.
1. OT The Carolina Panthers have to get a blindside blocker on this team. Taylor Morton is a good tackle but he is more of a fit at right tackle. They're going to need to sign a blindside blocker to help protect Sam Darnold, PJ Walker, Cam Newton, or whoever the QB will be for the Panthers next season. Speaking of which…
Another season and another need for the Panthers. I hate to say this because I was a fan of Darnold in college but he stinks. PJ Walker is a scrub and Cam Newton can’t throw a football due to his many shoulder injuries. I don’t see a franchise QB on this team and Carolina should make a move to bring in a QB who could be that franchise QB.
3. LB Carolina could use some help at linebacker. Especially as many linebackers are free agents this season including Jermaine Carter, Haason Reddick, and Julian Stanford. Even if they resign all of them the Panthers could still use an upgrade as the only consistent linebacker was Shaq Thompson. At least they re-signed Frankie Luvu and I would be shocked if Carolina does not get improvements at linebacker.
4. OG Definitely a need to build the o-line. Especially when protecting the QB, and opening holes for the running backs. Pat Efelien was a flop signing and he did not work out. It would be a smart move for the Carolina Panthers to build the offensive line as it would be a great long-term investment for the team to make.
5. WR Panthers could use more depth at wide receiver in order to give their QB more targets to utilize. DJ Moore is excellent and Robby Anderson was not that good last year. Terrace Marshall Jr was a disappointment last season. They really don’t have much behind them and should get more depth at receiver.
Definitely, a need as there could be a lot of free agents that could be leaving this offseason including WR/RB/ST Cordarrelle Patterson, Russell Gage, Taje Sharpe, and Olamide Zaccheaus. There is also still no word on what will happen with Calvin Ridley as he was stepping away from football due to mental health reasons. I hope everything is going well for Ridley and I will continue to say this but take your time and whenever you are ready I will be happy to see you on the field. But there is a possibility that Ridley may never play a game for the Falcons ever again.
2. CB Excluding AJ Terell the secondary was abysmal, especially at Cornerback. The Falcons have to improve the secondary to help take the next step of the team's rebuild, especially with improving the defense.
3. S The Falcons secondary was so bad that they could also use upgrades at the safety position as well. Plus Duron Harmon and Erik Harris are free agents this offseason as well and could replace them.
Definitely on the list now that the Falcons released Dante Fowler Jr which to me was unsurprising. The Falcons have to get a replacement for him and improve the pass-rushing core to help with their rebuild.
Matt Ryan is not the long-term QB for the Falcons. Especially as he is currently 36 years old and should find a replacement when the time comes of the Falcons parting ways with Ryan. One other thing is that guy is not Josh Rosen. It is never going to be as he had 3 opportunities with Arizona, Miami, and Atlanta and failed to live up to expectations. It is over for him.
New Orleans Saints
1. OT With how bad the Saints salary cap is I doubt that the Saints will be able to bring back Terron Armstead which is a huge loss for the Saints o-line. The team is going to need to find a replacement for him as a blindside blocker or at Right tackle if the Saints decide to move Ryan Ramczyk to left tackle.
2. QB The Saints are in a bad spot here. I doubt they will be able to bring back Jameis Winston or Trevor Siemian as they are locked into the salary cap. Ian Book stinks (This is coming from a fan of Notre Dame’s Football team) and I don’t see Taysom Hill as a full-time starting quarterback. The Saints have to find their QB of the future and I don’t think they have one currently on the roster.
3. WR The only Saints receivers that have a contract for next season are Marquez Callaway and Michael Thomas. Still a TBD for Thomas as there are rumors still floating of the Saints potentially parting ways with him. But the Saints need to give whoever the QB is next season weapons to utilize for next season.
4. S The Saints are going to need a safety this offseason. Especially as Marcus Williams, PJ Williams, and Jeff Heath are free agents this offseason and are going to need to replace them as I doubt the saints can afford to re-sign him.
5. CB Never hurts for the Saints to get depth at the cornerback position. Especially as the Saints are most likely going to blow it up this offseason due to how locked they are via salary cap-wise. The Saints should restructure the secondary during the offseason.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1. CB Many say that QB is a need because of Tom Brady officially retiring but I say different. The Buccaneers absolutely need help at cornerback. The whole Richard Sherman experiment did not work out at all and Sean Murphy-Bunting was not the same since he had that brutal arm injury earlier in the season.
2. DL Steve McLendon, Ndamukong Suh, and William Gholston are all free agents this offseason. Plus they are past their prime and the Buccaneers could get younger at this position in the offseason.
3. QB The Buccaneers are going to have to upgrade at the QB position now that Tom Brady is officially retired from football. Kyle Trask could be something as he was a second-round pick last year. If he is not ready then the Buccaneers will have to start Blaine Gabbert at QB. Trust me as the Jaguars are my second favorite team you don’t want that.
4. RB The Buccaneers only have Ke'Shawn Vaughn signed to a contract for next year. Leonard Fournette, Giovanni Bernard, and Ronald Jones II are all free agents this offseason. If the Buccaneers can't re-sign them to another contract and I doubt they do. The Buccaneers are going to have a big need here to deal with.
5. TE The Buccaneers could lose both Rob Gronkowski and OJ Howard in Free Agency. I am shocked that Cameron Brate is still here. They could use a replacement for both if they leave in free agency and use an upgrade over Brate.