(Image credit Mark J. Rebilas/ USA Today Sports)
Written by: Nicholas Mullick
With the Superbowl now completed the NFL is entering the offseason. Now every time that a team enters the offseason I always look at the team needs for every single team. So I decided why not analyze the 5 big team needs that every NFL team should address in the 2022 Offseason starting with the NFC West.
I was looking at the Seattle Seahawks Free Agent class and the Seahawks could potentially lose both Brandon Shell and Duane Brown in Free Agency. If it were me I would re-sign Brandon Shell to an extension because both are younger. But there will be a big hole at tackle with the loss of Duane Brown. So Seattle could look to get younger by finding the replacement for Duane.
2. DT I am going to start this off by saying this. Name me a defensive tackle that is currently on the Seahawks right now? I honestly had to look it up and boy was the Seahawks defensive line was abysmal last season. In fact, they were at one point last season by PFF ranked 29th in the league. I absolutely think Seattle should upgrade the defensive tackle position during the offseason.
Seattle’s Secondary is a complete mess right now. Especially at Cornerback as it was a big weakness. In fact, excluding Tre Brown, there was not one good cornerback this season. Tre Brown has durability concerns as well. So Seattle has to focus on building the cornerback position in the offseason.
Bobby Wagner may be getting older but I think he has a few more years left in the tank before they move on from him. But excluding Jordyn Brooks, the Seahawks do not have a ton of depth at Linebacker. They needed to bring in a few pieces at linebacker in order to help fix their defense as it was abysmal. Their lack of production at linebacker excluding Brooks is something that has to change.
Gerald Everett is a free agent during the offseason and Will Dissley can’t stay healthy (Plus he also is a free agent). Colby Parkinson and Tyler Mabry did not do much last season. Seattle could use an upgrade at the Tight End position that is very durable and consistent.
San Francisco 49ers
This is absolutely on the top of the list for needs. Jason Verret and Emmanuel Mosley suffered injuries. Dontae Jackson was not that strong. Josh Norman has not been the same since the whole Derrick Henry stiff-arm incident happened. Deommodore Lenoir showed flashes but the 49ers cornerbacks were a big weakness last season. They need a number 1 cornerback to improve the backfield. Especially as Verret, Norman, and Jackson
The San Francisco 49ers really need to find another guard. Laken Tomlinson will most likely be leaving free agency and they are going to need to find a replacement for him. Aaron Banks was solid but needed another year to develop. Plus the 49ers could use some depth as well at the guard position.
The 49ers secondary was abysmal and unless the 49ers place the franchise tag on Jaquiski Tartt then the 49ers will need to find a replacement for him. Plus the 49ers if they do keep Jaquiski Tartt need to have depth at the position as Tartt does have durability concerns.
4. OC Ever since Weston Richburg had to retire early due to injuries this has been a position of need. Yes, Alex Mack is here and he was solid but he is 36 and is not the long-term answer at center. It might be a good idea for the 49ers to find the eventual replacement for Mack.
Absolutely a need here as the 49ers have a bunch of receivers entering free agency like Mohamad Sanu, Richie James, Travis Benjamin, and Trent Sherfield. They are going to have to bolster the depth at receiver with these losses in either free agency or in the NFL Draft. Especially if they want to properly develop Trey Lance by giving him as many receivers as they can.
1. DE/EDGE My final mock draft last season had Arizona using a first-round pick on an edge rusher. I like Chandler Jones and JJ Watt but they are getting up in age and they are both injury-prone. The Cardinals don’t even have depth at that position either. Plus Chandler Jones is also a free agent this upcoming season and might not return to the team which would be a loss for the Cardinals defense.
The Cardinals secondary was abysmal last season. They desperately need to get upgrades at the cornerback position, get a player to pair with Byron Murphy Jr, and gain more depth. Plus Robert Alford is a free agent this upcoming offseason and they are going to need a replacement for him.
3. OG I will never stop saying this but it never hurts to give your franchise quarterback more protection. The Cardinals need to get another guard so that they can be more efficient and consistent opening holes for running backs to run through. Plus Justin Pugh is 31 years old and is a free agent next year. It might be a good time to plan for his replacement now than later especially in protecting QB Kyler Murray.
4. RB Arizona if they decided to sign nobody that is entering free agency would result in only having Eno Benjamin at running back. Both Chase Edmunds and James Connor are free agents this upcoming season. The Cardinals are going to have to get a replacement for both or one of them decides to leave in free agency.
5. QB I have no idea what is going on with the whole Kyler Murray situation. Especially as he doesn't have any references to the Arizona Cardinals from his Instagram account. Plus there are reports that Arizona wants growth in leadership and maturity from Kyler. One thing is for sure. Arizona also needs to get a reliable backup behind Kyler. Yes, they currently have Colt McCoy as the backup but two problems. 1 McCoy is 35 and could retire soon. 2. McCoy is a free agent for next season. Trace McSorley is the next man up but I would not call him a reliable option. Arizona needs to get a QB during the offseason either via Free Agency or using a late-round draft pick on a QB.
Los Angeles Rams
The Los Angeles Rams need to find a blindside blocker. It is a must as I'd be shocked if Andrew Whitworth did not retire. He basically admitted no matter what he would retire after Superbowl 56. Especially as he faced his former team the Cincinnati Bengals it would have been a great ending no matter what. The Rams need to replace him in order to protect QB Matthew Stafford.
Von Miller is set to hit free agency and unless he wants to take a cheap contract from next year I doubt that he returns to the Rams. The Rams are currently under the salary cap of 13.1 million in salary so I expect the rams to draft someone to replace Von Miller.
Injuries derailed this position with Robert Woods suffering a torn ACL, and Ring Chaser Odell Beckham’s injury almost cost the Rams a Superbowl. Look how inconsistent the Rams were on offense without OBJ and Robert Woods. The Rams should look to get more depth at receiver as well.
This is not a tremendous need but it never hurts to build the depth at the cornerback position. Plus the secondary needed another boost/ring chaser in Eric Weddle who was used as a rotational corner/safety.
There were rumors that DT Aaron Donald was contemplating retiring during SuperBowl 56. At first, I did not believe it but thinking about it further Football is a tough sport to play. But the Rams should take this as a wake-up call and find a replacement for Aaron Donald when the time comes where he will not be a part of the Los Angeles Rams. NFC West Team Needs 2022 Offseason